Official release date set for Onimusha 2
Capcom Entertainment announced today the official release date for Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny. The PS2 exclusive is expected to ship to retailers August 27 and includes some nice additions to the original title from last year. Capcom's sequel includes more expansive environments to explore, new character interactions, enhanced swordplay, and over twice the volume of animated movies. Onimusha 2 has already been a great success in Japan, as it has shipped one million units within two weeks of its launch.
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny begins 10 years following the events in Onimusha: Warlords, after Nobunaga, an infamous Japanese warlord, has brutalized a village. The main character and hero, Jubei Yahyu, is based upon the late Japanese actor, Yusaku Matsuda. The setting is in epic form, taking base from 16th century Feudal Japan.
"The opening cinematics are even more stunning than the original masterpiece. The game is so realistic you actually feel panic and fear as Nobunaga and his henchmen terrorize the village," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom Entertainment. "Onimusha 2 will be a 'must-have' video game for the Onimusha aficionado and all PlayStation 2 game players. This is the first time a video game has brought an actor back to life. The late Yusaku Matsuda was an extremely popular actor and his presence adds a totally unique quality to Onimusha 2."
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny boasts the following features:
- Explore new and diverse environments - Outside the castle walls players will travel around the Town of Imasho, a lively old gold rush town, the Sacred Place of the Oni Clan over run with demons, as well as foggy canyons, hidden forests, a gold mine, caves and more.
- Players can simply execute a new set of sword moves called 'Ohgi' or 'esoteric fighting' to execute devastating combos using a simplistic control scheme.
- Onimusha 2 will feature twice the amount of CG story line movies. Capcom has employed the talents of live-action movie actors to add facial and movement realism as well as an actual stage director to ensure overall realism and continuity.
- Revolutionary character interaction - Players can gain access to the new fighting skills of not only the main character but up to four unique sub-characters.
- Features world-renowned music from composer Taro Iwashiro.
- Epic story blends magical realism with accurate historic accounts
- The most epic adventure in Capcom's samurai action series.
4/3/2002 Matt Stensrud