Sony Gamer's Day - 40GB HDD Info Revealed
Perhaps the biggest announcement at Sony’s Gamers’ Day was the release date, price point, and finally some firm information on the PS2 HDD unit. It will ship in March of 2004, at a price point of $99. The big surprise however, was that the unit will ship with Final Fantasy XI pre-installed, and it will also include a free month of online play. Future months of play can be purchased for $12.95 a month. Also included on the 40gig HDD will be a media player, a tool to rip CD’s, a photo manager, and some more as of yet undisclosed additional content.
To read more from the Final Fantasy press release, read on:
- Twenty years have passed since the Great Crystal War, when the forces of darkness gathered and evil threatened the peaceful kingdoms of Vana’deil. An alliance was formed to rid Vana’diel of the evil; but after a narrow victory, the threat has returned. As the beastmen organize their forces and make their advance towards the nation of San d’Oria, Windurst and Bastok, a desperate call goes out to adventurers around the globe for help.
- FINAL FANTASY XI allows gamers to live in a truly persistent world with cross-platform play between console and personal computer.
- FINAL FANTASY XI is a massive multiplayer online role-playing game that tasks players with creating the history of Vana’diel.
- In FINAL FANTASY XI, players can create an alter ego from the inhabiting races of Vana’diel. Players can choose from numerous physical traits such as face models, body size and hair color, as well as country of origin, and profession.
Each race has its own unique history and traits:
- Humes are well balanced for a variety of jobs, and are the ideal race to chose if players are unsure of which job to pursue.
- Galka (male-race only) have unsurpassed power and hand-to-hand fighting abilities.
- Tarutaru may look harmless, but they posses immense magical powers.
- Mithra (female-race only) are agile hunters of a nomadic race that make them outstanding thieves.
- Elvaan stand tall and proud, and their confidence is a result of their impressive strength. They make exceptional warriors.
- Select from a list of job classes to define fighting skills including: warrior, white mage, monk, red mage, thief and black mage.
- Advanced jobs, such as “dark knight,” “summoner,” and “ninja,” will enhance a player’s ability to specialize in unique attack skills.
9/16/2003 Aaron Thomas