Media Create Japan Software Sales: Feb. 5-11
Well here's something that not even I could've predicted, a Media-Create chart with a PS3 game leading in sales. Yes, believe it or not, Sega's Virtua Fighter 5 not only made it onto the chart, but it was also the best selling game from February 5th-11th. It had 2-3 days to sell before the week's end (it arrived in stores on the 8th and 9th), and it managed to rack up just over 48k copies. Its first day of sales was reported to be 32k, which wasn't so bad, especially considering how fighting games just aren't very popular in Japan anymore.
Also, as predicted Nintendo has gotten its first million seller for the Wii with Wii Sports, which also came in second. Virtua Fighter 5 will probably appear on next week's chart somewhere towards the bottom, but it won't be able to hold on for a third week. I do wonder if it managed to sell a few extra PS3s...we should find out the hardware results tomorrow.
Position/Platform/Publisher/Game Name/Weekly Sold/Total
1. PS3, Sega - Virtua Fighter 5 - 48,346 / NEW
2. WII, Nintendo - Wii Sports - 45,897 / 1,004,555
3. WII, Nintendo - Wii Play - 36,090 / 879,432
4. NDS, Nintendo - More Brain Age - 32,800 / 3,963,712
5. NDS, Nintendo - New Super Mario Bros. - 29,026 / 4,118,078
6. PS2, Capcom - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 27,519 / 304,113
7. NDS, Nintendo - Wario: Master of Disguise - 26,815 / 185,695
8. NDS, Marvelous Interactive - Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On - 26,804 / 106,212
9. NDS, Marvelous Interactive - Luminous Arc - 25,676 / NEW
10. PS2, Sega) - J-League Pro Soccer 5 - 24,468 / 131,541
2/14/2007 Arnold Katayev