Twisted Metal: Black released.
Today, the exclusive release of Twisted Metal: Black was announced by Sony Computer Entertainment and will take on a whole new look and feel compared to the previous versions in the Twisted Metal series. Players will encounter a much darker environment than before and will experience gameplay like no other. Along with these two elements, Sony has also provided incredible special effects and some of the best graphics seen on the PS2 so far. The game has been designed by the creators of Twisted Metal 1 and 2, who revolutionized 3D car combat and brought us one of the best selling games of all time in TM2. With the franchise almost achieving 5 million sales in North America, it is the best-selling car combat series of all time.
"Back in 1995, we introduced PlayStation fans to a new genre in gaming with Twisted Metal; now in 2001, we plan to redefine it with Twisted Metal: Black," said Ami Blaire, director, product marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "With the creative minds of the original Twisted Metal team and the advanced technological capabilities of the PlayStation 2, gamers will experience a familiar franchise with a whole new look and feel that provides a deeper and darker reality than ever before."
"With the technological advancement of the PlayStation 2, art direction has become an integral part of the video game development process, just as it is in the movies," said Dave Jaffe, director and lead designer, Sony Computer Entertainment, Santa Monica. "With Twisted Metal: Black, we were finally able to implement all of the creative ideas we had envisioned for the first two games. The result is a darkly atmospheric, profound and strategic game, which is also easy for gamers to get into and lots of fun to play."
The story unfolds with Calypso, the mastermind behind the Twisted Metal battles, returning once more to host the absolute most destructive and electrifying contests in the series. Calypso has taken an arrangement of contestants whose souls are doomed to be lost, and has given them one wish should they defeat their opponents in battle. You will actually be able to see what hell these players have gone through and the reason for their insanity. Glance into what was once a lost soul, and feel the torment that only these creatures have faced.
Twisted Metal: Black is a combination of enhanced player environments, changing weather conditions, moving traffic, living pedestrians, and interactive object, making for an incredibly life-like environment with twist and turns around every corner. You will face many different weapons and combinations of attacks while be at the gameís core of destruction. Deadly strategy is also an important element as you rip your way devilish battlegrounds and horrific landscapes. Each element of Twisted Metal: Black feasts itself on the pure enjoyment of this genre and delivers an experience that you will want to relive over and over.
Key Features of Twisted Metal: Black
- Created by the original designer and developer of the Twisted Metal and Twisted Metal 2 games.
- More than 18 death-match battlegrounds allow you to torture and humiliate your friends.
- Eleven vicious battlegrounds for the single-player to tear up.
- 14 diabolically inventive vehicles.
- Twisted Metal: Black requires more skill than ever before; master strategic kills and then rejoice in victory.
- Tons of weapons and combo attacks make for more creative kills.
- Enhanced player environments with moving traffic, changing weather, living pedestrians and interactive objects make for a highly charged, living world of destruction.
- Improved vehicle physics with dramatic jump and landing physics, more exaggerated power slides and more responsive turn rates.
- Variety of gameplay types, including Death Match, Mode, Endurance Mode and Co-op Mode, provide added replay value.
- The entire game, including multi-player levels, runs at an impressive 60 frames per second.
- Control precision has been perfected with the analog control "D" Pad.
- The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has rated Twisted Metal: Black "M" for Mature.
6/19/2001 Matt Stensrud