March NPD: Mass Effect 3 Rises High, But Sales Fall Again
Scandal or no scandal, Mass Effect 3 is atop the sales charts.
The NPD Group has released the industry figures for last month and BioWare's latest landed in the top spot. It even doubled the first-month tally set by its predecessor. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to pull the industry out of its three-month-long tailspin.
The total retail haul was down 25% year-over-year to $1.1 billion; software fell 26% to $585.1 billion and hardware dropped 35% to $323.5 million. The Xbox 360 was once again the top seller. Accessories didn't do too badly, though, as they only fell 8% to $222.5 million; some of this is attributed to Activision's Skylanders figurines, all of which managed to crack into the month's top 10 list for peripherals. Here are the top 10 games for March:
- 1. Mass Effect 3 (X360, PS3, PC) - Electronic Arts
- 2. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (X360, PS3) - Capcom
- 3. MLB 12: The Show (PS3, PSV) - Sony
- 4. NBA 2K12 (X360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, PC) - Take-Two
- 5. SSX (X360, PS3) - Electronic Arts
- 6. Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3, X360) - Capcom
- 7. Mario Party 9 (Wii) - Nintendo
- 8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, PS3, PC, Wii) - Activision
- 9. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (X360, PS3) - Namco Bandai
- 10. MLB 2K12 (X360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, PC) - Take-Two
And here's Sony's official statement from the new SCEA Sr. Director of Corporate Communications Dan Race (Patrick Seybold has gone along his merry way):
"Nearly two months after hitting the North American market, the PS Vita ecosystem continues to grow with impressive hardware, software, and peripherals sales among big-box retailers, smaller retail shops and digital. We are seeing strong digital downloads across the board, including full digital-only purchases and extremely high conversion rates for digital demos to full game purchases with titles such as Unit 13, which showcases PS Vita's unique 3G and shooter capabilities. We look forward to furthering the PS Vita momentum with upcoming blockbuster titles like Mortal Kombat and Resistance: Burning Skies, and apps including Skype."
Yes, we're all hoping the Vita continues to be a rising star in the PlayStation world. That thing is sweet, damnit.
Related Game(s): Mass Effect 3
4/12/2012 9:14:57 PM Ben Dutka