PS3 Software Update 2.20 Enables BD-LIVE
Today, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) has announced the full details of the next system software update for the PlayStation 3. It will arrive later on this month and above all else, it will add Blu-Ray Profile 2.0 (also known as BD-LIVE), which lets users experience a horde of interactive features, like downloadable content, games, ringtones and more. Furthermore, software update 2.20 will enable photo and music playlists on the PS3 to be copied over to the PSP, which is an extremely cool feature and one that many will appreciate.
"With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers," said Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA. "Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."
The following are the features that have been "demonstrated as possibilities with BD-LIVE;" they will vary depending on the movie title:
- A variety of downloadable content can be offered, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.
- Interactive movie-based games can pit players who are sitting in the same room, or are across the world and online, against each other.
In addition to this update, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) has revealed they already have two BD-LIVE-enabled titles in the hopper and scheduled for release on April 8- "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and "The 6th Day." Both movies will boast exclusive downloadable content that goes above and beyond what is currently available on the actual Blu-Ray disc. As for copying music playlists and photos from the PS3 to the PSP, all you'll need is a USB cable and you're good to go. Lastly, here are the rest of the features included in this massive update:
- "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.
- "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
- PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.
3/20/2008 Ben Dutka