Konami Explains MGS4 Limited Edition PS3 Bundle
Some MGS fans may remember when Konami placed its "highly limited edition" Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PlayStation 3 bundle on their online store. On the first day, the servers crashed and before that, consumers had to deal with a very expensive proposition. There was the question about a $500 insurance requirement before purchasing the bundle, and even though it was refundable, it still shouldn't have happened.
Well, Konami has now issued an explanation for all of this. According to their official site, they "just got approval to clear some stuff up." The ensuing message included the following details:
1. People are wondering just how "limited" this bundle really is, and Konami has verified that quantities are in the "four digits," which definitely means less than 10,000. After they're gone, they're gone for good.
2. That Gun Metal Gray color for the PS3 isn't just a paint job; it's actually a whole different material, which has more of a "matte" finish as opposed to the "standard glossy one."
3. Yes, the controller that comes in this package is the Gun Metal Gray DualShock3; not the old Sixaxis. This is a limited edition controller just like the system.
4. The bundle comes with the Limited Edition of MGS4, which is only available one other way: exclusively through GameStop. These copies will also be difficult to find, as they're just as "limited" as the bundle in question.
5. The first day the bundle went up generated "an enormous traffic hit that took the servers down," but now they've added "a lot more server power and bandwidth." Therefore, there should be no more technical issues when you go to purchase the bundle.
6. The $500 insurance charge was an "operational error," for which Konami offers a "sincere apology," and that has now been fixed as well. Paying $500 for the insurance is now an option as it should be.
7. The bundle isn't available to Canadian customers yet, but they expect it to be within the "next couple of days."
So there you have it, guys. Konami has worked through all the problems, and yes, this really is a "highly limited edition" bundle. If you want it, we strongly suggest you visit Konami.com and pick this bad boy up.
Related Game(s): Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
5/29/2008 Ben Dutka