MotorStorm: Apocalypse Enjoys A Thunderous Unveiling
So it looks like Sony wants to get all the big announcements out of the way before E3. ...bizarre, but whatever.
We now know about Killzone 3 and inFamous 2 and now, here's MotorStorm: Apocalypse. Freshly announced over at the PlayStation Blog, the newest iteration in the critically acclaimed off-road racer will be set in "The City," which is fictional but inspired by the Bay Area of California. So yeah, it might look a little urban but it's still off-road; in other words, they're calling it "Brutal Urban Off-Road Racing." A major earthquake has caused the city to become abandoned, but on the flip side, the tremor left quite the terrain for some bad-ass vehicles and brave drivers. And you know what's super cool? The environment "will be ripped to pieces, in real-time, as you race," and this can even have a direct impact on the route you need to take. We particularly like this excerpt from the post:
"Buggies using collapsing walls as half-pipes. Big Rigs on the rooftops of skyscrapers as they collapse. Superbikes gunning into the basements of enormous rifts. Supercars flicking on their headlights to barrel through the subways and sewers. Multi-vehicle pile ups on giant bridges as they buckle and twist. Driving through someone’s office and smashing up their desks. It’s all there."
The team has taken feedback from gamers who played previous titles and as a result, they've produced what they believe to be a "more satisfying overall game experience." In single-player, every race is unique. When a building comes down, it's down for good; i.e., even if you go back after finishing or quitting a race, that building is still down. Furthermore, you'll actually see the single-player from three different viewpoints, so there's a bit of extra depth. They're calling the destructive interaction "Wreckreation," which may be the coolest name ever. And here's a list of the game features:
- Sixteen player online multiplayer.
- Four player split-screen.
- Combinations of the two. Play with three friends in the living room against 12 more online.
- Massive vehicle customisation. Change vinyls, vehicle parts, vehicle shapes and more. Upload them to the community site and share them with others. They automatically work on all vehicle types, and include your PSN ID.
- Vehicle perks. Modify your handling, boosting and offensive abilities as you unlock new perks.
- A wealth of rankings to progess through online with associated rewards and recognition.
- Stacks of online rewards to earn and persistent progress giving the most determined and successful racers the status and recognition they deserve.
- Persistent matchmaking. Keep your party together throughout your gaming session.
- A Game Mode Creator. From a completely blank canvas you can design your own game rules and victory conditions, play them online, and incorporate them into tournaments.
Oh, but it doesn't end there. They've replaced loading screens with cut-scenes, changed the handling and boosting mechanics, introduced five completely new vehicle classes, and you'll be seeing a lot more of MotorStorm: Apocalypse as the year rolls on. So what surprises could be left at E3 now? Uncharted 3?
Related Game(s): MotorStorm: Apocalypse
6/10/2010 9:12:51 PM Ben Dutka