September NPD: Industry Slides, New Halo Dominates
The comprehensive numbers are gone but at least we can still get a bird's-eye view of the industry.
The NPD Group has released the industry results for September and true to their warning, it is devoid of specific hardware and software numbers. It does, however, tell us that overall hardware sales fell 19% to $383 million, and software sales slid 5% to $655 million. The report also noted that $614 million of those sales came from console and handheld software, which means PC software only tallied $41 million for the month of September...times have certainly changed, haven't they?
Anyway, it should be little surprise to anyone to learn the Xbox 360 was the top console last month; a little clue as to why can be found on the software chart, where Halo: Reach dominated (3.3 million copies sold thus far). However, even with the new blockbuster, non-PC software fell 6% overall. Here's a look at the software top 10 for September:
- 1. Halo: Reach (360) - Microsoft
- 2. Madden NFL 11 (360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP) - Electronic Arts
- 3. Dead Rising 2 (360, PS3, PC) - Capcom
- 4. NHL 11 (360, PS3) - Electronic Arts
- 5. FIFA SOCCER 11 (360, PS3, PS2, PSP, NDS) - Electronic Arts
- 6. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) - Square Enix Inc
- 7. Mafia II (360, PS3, PC) - Take 2 Interactive
- 8. Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (PS3, 360, NDS, Wii) - Activision
- 9. Metroid: Other M (Wii) - Nintendo
- 10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3, PC) - Activision Blizzard
Yes, MW2 is still on the list. The lone bright spot for September can be found in the Accessories category, as sales jumped 13% to $180 million. The NPD's Anita Frazier attributes this rise mostly to PlayStation Move, which saw each of its various pieces finish in the Top 10 for the month. By the way, Sony is plenty happy with these results.
10/14/2010 9:12:47 PM John Shepard