New SSX Gameplay Details: It's Like "Burnout On Snow"
SSX: Deadly Descents is the long-awaited next-gen installment and although many have their reservations, we're all hoping for a return to snowboarding glory.
The proposed changes haven't gone over well with the fans, but we need more details before we make an informed decision, yes? More info has indeed arisen and thanks to the March 2011 issue of the Official Xbox Magazine (as cited by Stickskills), you can now get a closer look at the gameplay and features. Unsurprisingly, they claim to have "great characters, great tricks, great environments, awesome speeds, great music, tight controls, and totally ridiculous gameplay." Well, that's very nice PR, but how's about some more concrete info?
- The title is not being developed as previously rumored by the Skate team, and does not feature Skate style controls.
- A few of the goals are just to simply get off of the mountain alive.
- A few examples of the Survival challenges would be outracing avalanches, avoiding fatally freezing "shady" areas, and "getting through the Himalayas' oxygen-barren 'death zone' before you black out."
- The team was very impressed with Criterion's "Autolog" feature in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, and the article suggests that the team is heavily looking into implementing that into the title.
- Creative Director Todd Batty has dubbed the title almost a "Burnout on snow."
Feel better? Or are we still seething over the departure from the norm? We do have faith in the developers and we're trying to remain optimistic, but when franchises begin to lose their core fans...well, that's a problem. Hopefully, when the game arrives, all our fears will be put to rest.
Related Game(s): SSX: Deadly Descents
2/3/2011 8:54:41 PM John Shepard