JRPGs - weren't they pronounced dead?
We've seen a lot of articles written in the gaming media about the death of the JRPG, the death of turn based play, and how there is no room for such classic RPGs any more.
But might we be seeing a rebirth, a sort of phoenix rising from the ashes?
PSXExtreme has written a few pieces too.
- RPG Fans Mourn The Death Of Turn-Based
- Is Nostalgia The Only Reason We Want Our Old JRPGs Back?
- Is There Any Room Left For JRPGs?
Well, let's not be too hard on ourselves, PSXExtreme has also show high regard for JRPGs.
However, to paraphrase Samuel Clemens, JRPGs seem to be back and saying "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated".
The questions remain though, and perhaps the biggest question of all is; Why do people assume that the JRPG, turn based play and classic RPGs are dead? I pulled together a quick list of JRPGs, turn based RPGs and classic RPGs with JRPG style that have already released in 2016 or are due for release this year. It's quite a list. You may be pleased to know that there are more coming next year also.
JRPGs, turn based and old school RPGs released or due for release in 2016 on PS4 (in the West - the list for Japan is far longer);
- Nights of Azure
- Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
- Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness
- Star Ocean: Second Evolution
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- I Am Setsuna
- The Witch and the Hundred Kight: Revival Edition
- Megadimension Neptunia VII
- Atelier Sophie
- Final Fantasy XV
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- World of Final Fantasy
- Valkyria Chronicles Remaster
- Valkyria: Azure Revolution
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Tales of Berseria
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
- Grand Kingdom
- Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
- Fairy Fencer: Advent Dark Force
Japanese companies seem to be really warming up to the PS4, this should also drive sales of PS4 in Japan.
But, that's not all, there are also these, from developers/publishers not based in Japan;
- The Banner Saga 2
- Sword Coast Legends (classic D&D gameplay)
- Darkest Dungeon
- Rainbow Skies (Edit: fixed this link)
- Children of Zodiarcs
- Soul Saga
- Edge of Eternity
- EarthLock Festival of Magic
- Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey
So, at least 33 games that are either JRPGs, turn based JRPG style, or classic RPGs with turn based combat and JRPG elements. With 24 of those from Japanese developers and publishers. This is games that have either released or are planned for release on PS4 in 2016. A more general list of RPGs would be even larger.
Perhaps we need to reevaluate our perspective on JRPGs?
Is the JRPG dead? Not Hardly.
Related Game(s): Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness, Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky, I Am Setsuna, Megadimension Neptunia VII, Atelier Sophie, Final Fantasy XV, Valkyria Chronicles Remaster, Tales of Berseria, Kingdom Hearts III, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5, Phantasy Star Online 2, Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization, Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, Fairy Fencer: Advent Dark Force
4/26/2016 11:30:01 AM Gordon Turner