Final Fantasy XIV prepares for the Revenge of the Horde
Square Enix has dropped a lot of new information regarding the upcoming patch to Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward. Letter rom the Producer LIVE Part XXIX unveiled a lot of information, some of which had been teased at PAX East this year.
Patch 3.3 is entitled Revenge of the Horde and will continue the Main Scenario Quest series and be the final chapter in the Dragonsong War.
There are a lot of details, patch 3.3 includes;
- New Beast tribe quests for Dragons and Moogles.
- More Side Quests involving the Anima relic weapon and Hildibrand
- Two New Dungeons Sohr Khai & Hullbreaker Isle (Hard)
- New Trials, including an EX version against "The ....."
- A New Alliance (24 players) Raid Void Arc: The Weeping City of Mhach
- A new treasure hunt 'dungeon' feature called Aquapolis
- A new map called Field of Glory for the Frontlines PvP content
- Housing update introducing "quite a lot of additional plots" + land price adjustments
- Flower Pots and vases with new flowers that can only be grown in pots.
- A new Raid Finder
- Quality of Life features such as the ability to save HUD layouts and a 'recommended gear' feature
- New crafting and gathering gear
Coming in minor patch 3.35, The Deep Dungeon "Palace of the Dead".
Palace of the Dead will arrive in minor patch 3.35, this new content will feature bosses on multiple floors and can be played solo or in a party up to 4 players. A new progression system, independent of the main game, is implemented for Palace of the Dead. The actual layout of the Palace of the Dead is ever changing, and the content will be extended in future patches. Players will start at level 1, with your current level and progress auto-saving as you progress. There are checkpoints where players restart in the event of a KO. Your strength will not depend on your normal gear, you must find items in the dungeon to help.
'Promised' for 3.5;
- Cross world party finder (as requested by Akihiro Hin, president/CEO of Level 5)
- Cross world lobbies for Triple Triad + Gold Saucer content
A tie-in event with Level 5's Yo-Kai Watch is planned, bringing weapons for each job in FFXIV, a new mount and minions as part of the event.
The Yo-Kai Watch event is planned for the Summer.
There are also plans to being the Japan-only content from a 7-11 promotion there, to other players. Players elsewhere have been requesting the Housemaid/Butler outfits and other items since they were first seen in Japan.
A lot of interesting stuff coming. In particular the treasure hunt dungeon and the Deep Dungeon (aka Palace of the dead) appear to be additional mid-core content to keep players engaged between patches when the new dungeons/raids have been overcome.
At PAX East, Yoshida-san let slip a few details.
The team is developing a mobile app that will let players participate in their LinkShells/Free Company and friends in-game, even when you are not in-game yourself. This app will also allow for access to your retainers and Market functions.
There is also a collaboration event planned for Phantasy Star Online 2, which will be avilable to all players even though PSO2 is currently unavailable in North America.
Yoshida also revealed that the team is working on allowing your Chocobo to be summoned when you are in Duty Finder, and perhaps most interestingly, in a dungeon. No detail was given on when this feature will arrive.
When asked about how many jobs were coming in the next expansion, Yoshida responded with "Jobs".
Finally, Doomtrain was mentioned as being a possibility when players enter Garlemald, and it might fly. It would seem that the 4.0 expansion will have the Warrior of Light entering Garlemald...but we have much to do between now and then.
Final Fantasy XIV continues to be a successful MMORPG for Square Enix, and is available on PS3, PS4, PC and Mac.
Edit : fixed a typo in the title.
Related Game(s): Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy XIV
4/29/2016 1:00:18 PM Gordon Turner