Rumored 4.00 Update Features For PSP
None of this is official, but if it's accurate, firmware update 4.00 for the PSP could be the single most significant upgrade yet. Some firmware updates only included minor security patches in the past, but 4.00 is going to boast a whole lot more than that. Check out the list of rumored features that should be included with the update:
- PLAYSTATION 3 Network titles can be played on the PSP [Remote Play] under Game. The PSP is then used as a monitor for any game playable in Playstation 3 game console.
- Real, Quicktime, and WMV audio and video codecs are now supported.
- Shockwave Player has been added as a feature.
- PSP web browser has been updated to allow compatibility with current websites.
- Adobe Flash Player 9 has been added as a feature, using the Memory Stick Pro Duo as flash memory. [Adobe Flash Player 9] has been added as a feature, using the Memory Stick Pro Duo as flash memory.
- Remote Play has been improved by the PS3 outputting 1080p to the PSP with larger icons text and better video quality. Remote Play now transmits at 11 mbps per second.
- 802.11g support has been added as a feature.
- PSOne games can now be downloaded without a PS3.
- Level 6 has been added to rate in Sony LocationFree Player to improve picture quality in H.264.
- Auto Connect has been added as a feature -- [Auto Connect] has been added as a feature.
- Copy, Command, Paste, Auto Complete, and Advanced Cookie Management has been added as a feature.
We have no idea if all of this will be confirmed, but obviously, you're looking at a major upgrade for the PSP. We had heard a bit about the PSP allowing for true remote access to the PlayStation Network and Store, and if this list of features is true, 4.00 should turn that dream into a reality. We'll let you know if Sony comes clean about this, and when we might be able to expect the update to arrive.
3/6/2008 Ben Dutka