Many months ago, Sony and Zipper Interactive posted a "wish list" poll on the Official Sony PlayStation web boards, asking gamers what they'd like to see added to or fixed in SOCOM III.
Scheduled release date: October 11, 2005|
Developer: Zipper Interactive
Genre: Squad FPS
Number Of Players: 1-32
It looks like they took that input to heart... as our "spies" have uncovered a partial list of confirmed features in SOCOM III, and, as it turns out, many of them were implemented based on suggestions contributed by players just like you and me.
Some are big changes. Some are downright trivial. Either way, fans of SOCOM II will have a lot to dig into when SOCOM III is released in October.
Confirmed SOCOM III Features
- More Primary Weapons. SEALs and Terrorists both have unique selection of more than a dozen primary weapons. SEALs: M4A1, M40A1, M4-90 shotgun, M60E3, MK-48, HK-5, HK-36 sub-machine gun, IW-80 A2, M14, M8 assault rifle, M16A2, M24 Sniper Rifle. Terrorists: AK-47, ATK-74, AG-94, RA-14, STG-77, 9mm sub-machine gun, F90, M40A1, M82A1A, SASR, TA 12-gauge shotgun, M60E3, 552. (not a complete list)
- More Handguns. SEALs: 9mm, HK Mark 23, Sig 226, .50 cal Desert Eagle. Terrorists: .50 cal Desert Eagle, 9mm pistol, F57 pistol. (not a complete list)
- Attachments, primary & handguns. Suppressor, Bipod, M24 Sniper kit, Low Scope (1.5x & 3x), Medium Scope (3x & 8x), High Scope (5x, 10x, 16x), 4x Scope, Front Grip. (not a complete list)
- Player Vehicles. Jeeps, tanks. Can be disabled in custom online games.
- Realistic Bullet Hits. Arm & shoulder shots degrade aiming. Leg shots slow players down. Shots in the back and torso knock you backward. Bullet hits also cause slowdown in movement for a few seconds right after hit. Can bleed to death over time.
- Realistic Movement Speed. Heavy weapons and EQ slow players down. Strafing is slower. Momentum added to movement, to make strafing more realistic.
- Throw Grenades While Running. No more standing still to chuck grenade. Accuracy is affected.
- Toggle infrared and night vision while using scope. Can turn sight gadgets off in scope mode, instead of having to do so in normal look mode.
- Quick Weapon Toggle. Tap L1 to swap from primary to secondary, insteal of pressing L1+L2.
- Multiple Game Types.Suppression, escort, demolition, breach, extraction.
- 32 Players online. 16 vs. 16. Also can have 4 additional spectators. Further spectators cut into player limit.
- Numerous Online Customizations. Enable specific weapons, turn off visible names and kill notifies, allow terrorists to use SEAL weapons, allow SEALs to use terrorist weapons, enabled/disable vehicles, multiple "realism" settings, ranked or unranked.
- Map Size Choice. Play on small, normal, and full sized versions of each map.
- Improved Game Browser. When browsing server, see current score, map choice, weapon limitations, realism settings, rank of players in room, and so on.
- Random Spawn Starts. Can pick between pre-set spawn points or randomize terrorist and SEAL placements.
- Clan-based Tournament System. Check clan rankings and setup games and tournaments in-game.
- Improved Friends List & Joining. Add friends directly from game or the lobby. Add friend from invite even if friend isn't logged in. Share friend list between multiple accounts. Check profiles and stats from game lobby. Join games directly from friends and clan list.
- Web-Based Access. Like Halo 2, access account via web site to manage friends and clan lists, participate in message boards, check stats, leave friend and clan messages, and see results of individual games.
- More Stats!. Overall, map by map, team kills, awards, most/least used weapons by you, best/worst weapons for you, SEALs vs. Terrorists, abort ratio, and many more.
- More Ranks. All 11 Navy ranks present.
- Moderators. In addition to automated system that checks for cheating, live humans will respond to complaints and monitor and participate in random games to help cut down on cheating.
- Native 16:9 Widescreen. Not the crop & zoom method used in SOCOM II. True 16:9 widescreen means owners of wide TVs see more. Also, 480p progressive scan.
- Variable Weather and Time. Night, day, dawn/dusk, rainy, windy, snowy.
Wow, that's some list. And it's not even complete. SOCOM III is currently in beta-testing and is set for commercial release on October 11, 2005.
For now, check out our earlier SOCOM III preview.
7/28/2005 Frank Provo